Since Russia invaded Ukraine in late February, YouTube has so far removed more than 70,000 videos related to the conflict. reported on Sunday. The company announced this The guard It removed many of the videos for violating its major violent events policy, which prohibits content creators from denying or trivializing events like the invasion.
YouTube did not break down the enforcement action, but found that it blocked approximately 9,000 channels over time, including one linked to pro-Kremlin journalist Vladimir Solovyov. Some of the videos removed from YouTube violated the company’s policies by labeling the invasion a “liberation mission.”
“We have a major violent event policy, and that applies to things like denial of major violent events: everything from the Holocaust to Sandy Hook. And of course, what’s happening in Ukraine is a major event of violence,” said Neal Mohan, YouTube’s chief product officer The guard. “And so we’ve used that policy to take unprecedented action.”
Partly due to his actions, YouTube has seen a significant increase in the number of people in Ukraine, Poland and Russia watching “authoritative” content related to the conflict. In Ukraine, for example, news content about the invasion has generated more than 40 million views. “The first responsibility, and probably the most important, is to make sure that people looking for information about this event are getting accurate, high-quality, and credible information on YouTube,” Mohan said The guard.
The move underscores the crucial role services like YouTube play in preventing the spread of misinformation online. In Russia alone, YouTube has more than 90 million users, making it the largest video platform in the country. The company’s actions against state-sponsored networks such as have had a dramatic impact on those organizations’ ability to get the Kremlin’s message across.